Well, didn’t expect a follow-up that quickly.

by Christa on January 6, 2014

in Baby Gins,Daily Digest

Thank you to everyone who commented on the previous breastfeeding post. You are all so wonderful – it’s so great to have so much support from such amazing moms! And your tips are very helpful.

I mentioned that one of my issues has been supply. I should say that I have been trying fenugreek, oatmeal, and have even made lactation cookies with oats, brewer’s yeast, and flaxseed to get my supply up. I have barely been able to pump anything, like I said, but I figured it was because Rachel was eating everything.

Then today happened. I decided to go to the lactation support group at the hospital where Rach was born, just to see if there were things I could be doing differently to be able to get more milk stored up. At this group, they weigh the babies before and after the feeding. Rach clocked in at 7 pounds, 6 ounces. I was immediately concerned because at her two-week pediatrician appointment, she weighed 6 pounds, 15 ounces – so she had only gained half a pound in a month (and she was 6, 8 when she was born). They had me feed her and then weighed her afterward. I say they cut her feeding short, but that’s just me. Anyway after the short feeding she had only gained an ounce (I have reason to believe she would have gained 2, which I’ll explain). She should really be gaining 3 ounces at each feeding by now.

One of the lactation consultants pulled me away from the group into the hallway and explained that I needed to start her on a new regimen of nurse, supplement, pump, then hand express to get my supply to where it needs to be. Sidebar: If I didn’t feel like a dairy cow before, I certainly will now. Oh wait, I did feel like one before! AND I needed to take her to the pediatrician to see how much and what kind to supplement.

So we darted across the street to her pediatrician. Her doctor had me nurse her on one side and then give her formula (for the first time – oh well). She took 3 whole ounces! And when it was time for her to eat this afternoon, I nursed her from both sides and then she took 2 ounces (which is why I think she is getting 2 ounces at each feeding and not just one).

I don’t care about formula. I just feel terrible that she, until today, has probably been hungry. I feel like once again my body is failing to do one of its basic functions. What the hell? Her doctor told me it’s not drastic and she’s not too concerned – she would have been really concerned if Rachel had lost weight. But that we should get a handle on it and start putting weight on her now. I hope she will be a happier baby; but that’s the thing, I don’t think she was extremely fussy and she had plenty of diapers so I just didn’t know she wasn’t getting enough. I hope she will now though.

Anyway. There’s that. I had written a totally different post about training today that I’ll post too, but I had to get this out.

We are learning, slowly but surely.

Here’s my best girl after eating – wearing the first thing I ever bought for her, in Oceanside!

ironbib

{ 1 trackback }

A quick milk update!
January 14, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Holly Natale January 6, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Friend, you are doing great. You’re body isn’t failing her. If she was being weaned from crack that you took during pregnancy or if she was inhaling your second hand pot smokeā€¦THEN your body, and you, would be failing her. Welcome to motherhood friend. It’s a CONSTANT feeling of “Oh crap, am I doing this right. Should I have done that differently.” It doesnt really go away as they get bigger, but you get better about just taking things as they come. It gets easier though, I promise. The first 6 months are HARD, the next 6 months are easier, and then after a year it gets FUN. Hang in there, take a deep breath and realize you are SO not alone. :)

Christa January 7, 2014 at 10:38 am

Thanks for the pick-me-up. I sure hope it gets easier soon! :) Haha…no crack for me!

Tiffany January 6, 2014 at 7:21 pm

You have some milk to feed your little lovey, and that’s a blessing in itself! NO SHAME for supplementing, momma. NO SHAME! Its awesome that you want to keep nursing her, especially since it’s flu season and she’s getting all those great antibodies from you. AND she will have the boob to comfort her (read: human pacifier) in the off-change that she comes down with a sniffle or is an early teether (no fun). Your boobs provide so much more for her than just food. They are emotional support for her too! SO they are NOT failing. NOT NOT NOT! I bet you she loves everything about your boobs. She is probably your boobs’ biggest fan. Ok, enough of me making random encouraging statements about your boobs. You’re the best mom. Believe it.

Christa January 7, 2014 at 10:39 am

Awww that’s so funny, I always call her “lovey” or my “little love” – so sweet. Thanks for the boob cheers! I am pretty sure she is their biggest fan. I have def been letting her use me as a pacifier – hey, whatever calms her down! :)

Jessica Farmer January 6, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I think it’s so great that you have people who are willing to help you assess your breastfeeding. I tried to tell my pediatrician and OB that my supply wasn’t enough and they told me to just keep feeding on demand. Long story short my Brett is now exclusively on formula. It was very hard for me to stop breastfeeding but I had no one to advise me on how to make the situation better. Keep up the great work!!

Christa January 7, 2014 at 10:40 am

Jessica, I got the Mother’s Love milk herbs from you in the mail today!! Thank you so much, I appreciate it. Yes, you are right, I’m very lucky to have so much support. I know it’s not what you wanted but the important thing is that your baby is getting food!! That’s what I keep telling myself too. You should be proud!