The times they are a-changin’…

by Christa on December 12, 2013

in Baby Gins,Daily Digest

My life revolves around baby. Baby sleep, baby eat, baby soothing, baby poop, etc.

I skipped book club last night – our annual holiday gift exchange, no less! The first of many times I’ll be giving up the things that used to rule my time. And all to try a new bedtime routine.

The pediatrician wanted us to try what is essentially the Ferber method – letting baby cry for increasingly longer intervals of time. So, “cry it out.” I couldn’t do it. We were supposed to leave her for 5 minutes, then 10, etc. After of course nursing her. But everything I’ve read says she’s way too young for this. Even Ferber method says that it’s used on infants four months and up…. well our baby is only three weeks!

I lasted five minutes. I can tell the difference between her “eh, eh” whimpers and the “DEAR GOD, SOMEONE IS TRYING TO MURDER ME” screams. I can’t do the murder screams – they break my heart. I went in and comforted her. She slept for an hour, woke up to eat, then slept FOUR HOURS, woke up to eat, and slept ANOTHER FOUR HOURS. It was glorious. I feel like a different person!

bunny

I hate that all of the pictures are of her in her Rock ‘n Play, but the truth is if she’s not in it then I’m holding her, which makes it hard to take a picture!!  We are planning to take some better pics this weekend though.  AND I’ve been trying out the Moby wrap more.  At first it was kind of complicated and I felt like she was slipping down, but I think we are getting the hang of it.  She seems to enjoy it!

moby

During nursing and pumping time I’ve been watching True Blood. Marisa says to stop now before I’m hooked, but I’m 6 episodes in! Although I must admit that I thought there had only been 3 seasons and I just checked and there have been 6. Hmm. I do want to catch up on House of Cards….

What’s your favorite TV show? Mine is easily The Mindy Project!

Cat December 12, 2013 at 5:21 pm

wow. in Europe, some mamas start cry it out at two months, but i’ve never heard of three weeks before. you’re halfway through hell month, so she should start sleeping longer stretches soon. :) hang in there, mama, and do what feels right for you and Rachel. i didn’t have the heart for murder cries either.

Christa December 16, 2013 at 11:57 am

I know, I just couldn’t stomach it. I read Bringing Up Bebe, which was interesting. It said French women hate the “cry it out” idea but they do have what they call “the pause” – they wait just a minute before consoling baby. I can’t wait til she sleeps longer!

Marisa December 13, 2013 at 12:01 am

Love reading your updates! Listen to your gut with the bebe. Always. Still becoming hard for me to believe that people are responsible for actual living breathing humans. People that I know!

Christa December 16, 2013 at 11:58 am

Haha, I know, it’s weird. Sometimes it doesn’t feel like she’s mine. I’m like wait, I have a kid?

Crystal@TheFastFitRunner December 13, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I am really surprised your pedi even told you to try that. Did they recommend a time limit? I would say that I think we reacted TOO quickly, too often. In hindsight I wish we would have let him cry/fuss a little more, but, definitely not anything that would be considered “cry it out”. No one will judge what ya gotta do though….it is straight survival mode the first 6-12 weeks.

Christa December 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

Yeah, I think I will wait a couple of minutes while she fusses, because I think sometimes I have woken her up by picking her up too quickly and then she is actually upset!

Angela Thomas December 15, 2013 at 7:52 pm

We didn’t do Ferber until 7 months!! I wouldn’t try any kind of sleep training until after the “4th trimester” Just keep nursing that sweet baby on demand! ;) You’re doing great!

Christa December 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

Yeah, I am going to wait awhile longer before any sleep training. Sometimes it seems like everyone can comfort her but me though – all she wants from me is the boob!