buying prescription medicines from

San Diego Recap!

by Christa on June 19, 2013

in TNT,Weekend Recap

This is way overdue, but I wanted to post about the awesome experience we all had in San Diego recently.

I coached the summer season of Team in Training for the Texas Gulf Coast Chapter, along with my friend and awesome assistant coach Emily. We recruited a fantastic team, including magnificent mentors Jess, Joanna, John, and Patrizia! We were all bound for the Rock ‘n Roll San Diego Marathon/Half Marathon. This event is very close to my heart because it was my first full marathon! It was so awesome to go back and be out on the course as a coach.

And after 16 weeks of training, we were finally off!

We left on a Friday morning and got into town pretty early. Stayed at the Manchester Grand Hyatt – a palace if I ever saw one. Pretty pimp. San Diego Marathon is unique in that the entire event benefits LLS so every chapter all over the country sends a team! Everywhere you look, PURPLE.
It was awesome seeing so many people from different chapters and hearing about where they were from, their reasons for running for the cause, etc. – just on the elevator to the room!

We had major plans Friday night; Marisa had made reservations at the drag dinner theater show Lips. It was Glamor Night so we got to see performances by Cher, Nicki Minaj, etc. We were celebrating Pati’s 30th birthday, so she got to get onstage and take a pic with the performers too!


Saturday we went for a short 3 mile run, and then it was breakfast at The Broken Yolk, as seen on Man v. Food. And it really was US against the FOOD. I ordered an omelet with hash browns and a biscuit (don’t worry, totally had a banana before the run and ordered orange juice, that counts as my fruit right?) PLUS Jess and I split a waffle. We did some damage.

photo (57)


Some of the others went shopping but John and I chose to stay off our feet and check out Hangover III before the inspiration dinner.

I love inspiration dinner. It’s one of the best parts about doing an event with Team in Training. Really brings it back to why you’ve been raising all the money, logging all the miles, and everything in between. After drying our eyes, we had one final team meeting (along with singlet decorating!) before an early bedtime. I was rooming with Sarah and we were up and at ‘em at 3:45am. The race started at 6:15 and we needed to get ready, meet the team, get on the bus, and get everything done at the start line.  Group pic at the hotel before boarding the bus!

photo (58)


I was stationed at Miles 19-22.5, and mile 22 was very close to mile 1, so I decided to run with some participants for awhile since my “zone leader” told us we could go wherever til we needed to be at our zone.  Ran a couple of miles with the fullers, then ran back to see the halfers too.  Here are some fun pics from along the course!

Jess looking fast at mile 2!

photo (59)

Joanna rocking mile 21 – can I just say that I am super proud of Joanna?  She got injured during the season and her longest run was 13 miles.  She ran a 5:02!! What the hell girl.  What the hell.

photo (60)

Sarah on the same giant hill (did I mention I was stationed on the hill that was a mile long? aces)!

photo (61)

This guy was juggling.

 photo (62)

Marisa was all smiles at 22.5 – why, I don’t know.  ;)

photo (63)

Pretty soon, everyone crossed the finish line and was a marathoner or half marathoner!  It was all over within a matter of hours – crazy.  So many weeks of training, and their hard work paid off.  I am so proud of all our awesome participants!!  AND they raised over $140,000.00 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  Truly rockstars.

By the time I made it back (walked btw) to the hotel, I had been on my feet for well over 8 hours and clocked over 20 miles.  I knew all the participants were hurting, but man let me tell you – it’s easier on my body to run the race!! I think just because I am on my feet for much less time.  Man, I had to recover the few days following.

But we made it to the victory party to celebrate!  It was early to bed for some of us (cough, me too!) and some others had fun at the rooftop bar.  Our flight was the next afternoon – at least we had time to brunch at Cafe 21.  Recommend!

All in all, a wonderful weekend.  It is so weird that now I don’t have a TNT event on Saturdays – for the first time in over 2 years.  So strange.  Can’t wait to get back out there after the little one is born!  :)  I was so honored to be out there as a coach – completely blown away by everyone’s spirit.  LOVE marathons.  LOVE TNT.  Love love.

Leave a Comment

+ six = 10

Previous post:

Next post: